Subject: Re: Advanced Lighting Tips
From: David Warner <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 09:20:15 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 6 Jan 1996, ED JAKOBER wrote:

> I like to turn the sound down, put on some music, and just
> watch lighting and camera work.

This is another very good idea...I've found that movies take on a whole 
different feel when there is no audio and you notice a LOT more visual 
elements without dialogue, music, or sfx to distract you.  I did this 
recently with "Alien" and it was amazing to notice many "new" details!

This brings up another issue though...I assume that most animations are 
developed without any sort of audio track...so we sit here and labor over 
every minute detail, trying to get just the "right" look without any sort 
of soundtrack to "distract" us.  But what happens when our animation is 
finished, and we dump it to tape with some background music and sfx?  

As an experiment, maybe we should have people watch our animations with 
and without music/sfx and see what their reactions are...maybe try 
different kinds of music/sfx too?

My guess is that adding the right kind of music/sfx to your animation 
or demo reel will help distract a person and prevent them from noticing 
certain rough spots in your work...  ...and if you want someone to notice 
all the fine details of your work, use very subdued music/sfx (or none 
at all) to elliminate "distractions".

Just a theory...

                                     -David Warner
                                      [email-masked]
                                      http://www.albany.net/~dwarner